Looking at landscape with young eyes


 

That’s

a

good

plan

shall we go

the long way round

                                                          to the Lion bridge

so that you can scoot

                                                             ok I’ll carry the scooter

until we get to the downhill bit

the gravel is difficult isn’t it

what have you found a funny stone

it is isn’t it just like a tube

it’s a fossil called a belemnite

they are really old yes we can take it home

and show mummy and daddy

they will be interested to see

I wonder if we will find anything else

can you see the deer over there under the trees

we can do if you like oh off you go then don’t go too far ahead

you go so fast on your scooter I cant keep up with you I am sure

you can do wheelies but don’t do what you did last time

and look back while you do it and fall off

wait at the roundabout because we need to turn left there

to go to the Bridge then we will find a place for our picnic…..

Yes I know but it doesn’t matter they will have moved

by the time we reach the gates

are you yes I remember when you and

Sebastien went through the doggy hole I took that picture I think

so we can have a look on my phone

when we find our picnic spot you are right there is a dog

do you think he is going to go through

yes he has would you really

I am not sure mummy and daddy will want a flap

in the front door but it would be fun to go in and out

that way I don’t think so he couldn’t walk on top of the gates

you are tricking me they do look realistic don’t they

and that was a very scary roar yes just like Lion King

look you have scared all the crows away no I cant fit through

there I am going through the gate shall we look over the parapet

I can hold you up look there is hardly any water

so we wont be seeing any cars splashing as they cross over

I don’t think the ducks will crash they will get up and walk wont they

perhaps if they were feeling like it but I think they might prefer

to fly over rather than squeeze through the doggy hole….

Right shall we find a place for our picnic

that would be nice

but it is right by the path and everyone will come right past us

the grass is long it isn’t prickly no it wont sting

come on lets go over to the nice shady spot

by those three trees

do you know what kind of tree they are

well done yes they are oak trees

if we look closely we might find some acorns

 cheese and cucumber I think mummy said

yes and teddy crisps no you have got some water

you had blackcurrant earlier didn’t you ok

well lets put our things down and we can find a tree

to go behind all right we don’t have to go to that tree

lets find another one….

How many have you got now

lets count them one two three four five

that’s a good idea I am sure Sebastien would like some

I can put them in the bag

how will you know which are yours

and which are Sebastiens

oh he only likes big ones does he

well we can try and find some more on the way back

shall we take a leaf home as well

no just acorns and the stone

yes I have got that in the bag

do you see that very big tree

near the roundabout

that has nuts

that we can cook and eat

it is called a sweet chestnut

careful the shells are very prickly

because the prickles

protect the nuts inside from the squirrels

I suppose lets see if we can open one up

perhaps using our feet there

you are look two flat ones and one nice round one acorns

right lets look hard for more acorns….

How many lets see

one two three four five six seven eight

oh yes I didn’t see that one

tucked under your thumb

how many is that well done

nine and you have got some nice big ones

 for Sebastien all of them that’s kind

he will be really pleased don’t you want any of them

good idea we can go across the grass to the cars

and do a roly-poly on the slope

well maybe you can

it was a long walk

you have done really well

and we have seen lots of things haven’t we

I don’t think they will be there any more

yes perhaps they have gone for their lunch

we can come and see the deer

another day

time

to

go

home.

 

Paul Middleton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For World Earth Day...

Getting Into a Scrape

The Comfortable Silence